Chicken Terrine Recipe
Terrine – a dish that is created mainly from meat and fish, vegetables, dried fruits. This dish is a cross between a classic casserole and a paste; it can be served as a snack. Terrine’s homeland is France, and today we will learn to cook it from chicken!
To create a terrine, rectangular shapes with a lid made from ceramic or refractory glass are most often used. The dish is baked in the oven; the following components may be included:
- fillet of white and redfish;
- chicken fillet, use of hips is acceptable;
- pork, beef;
- seafood, mushrooms;
- ham, goose, turkey;
- Nuts, fruit, chocolate for the sweet terrine.
Often, fatty cream, pistachios, and prunes are added to the dish, as well as lanspeak – broth, which is used in the preparation of traditional aspic. This broth is boiled from beef bones, covered with a small amount of meat, adding carrots, black pepper, and salt. Lanspeak can be replaced with thin strips of pork bacon, which will help to give the snack the correct shape.
If meat, offal or fish is used, they must first be boiled, quickly fry until golden brown or marinated. After that, the raw materials are ground using a blender or meat grinder. It is recommended to cut a small part of vegetables and dried fruits into neat cubes because large, bright pieces will improve the appearance of the finished terrine.
Step Recipe Meat Snacks
Creating terrine with bacon and other ingredients, prepare these products in advance:
- 700 g of chicken fillet, which you can notice hips, separated from the bone and skin;
- 300 grams of fatty fresh or smoked pork bacon;
- 100 g of prunes and pistachios;
- 1 onion;
- 50 ml of heavy cream and high-quality port wine;
- Nutmeg, coriander and other seasonings to taste.
Important! Before cooking, it is recommended to marinate the chicken in salted mineral water with spices. Also worth 2-3 hours soak prunes in warm water.
Stage number 1. Preparation of pistachios and dried fruits – instructions with photos
Start cooking chicken terrine with prune processing:
- cut, transfer the dried fruits to a deep metal container, fill with port, add 100 ml of water;
- Cook for about 5 minutes, do not forget to stir, otherwise, prunes will acquire an unpleasant burnt aroma and flavor;
- Remove from heat, leave for 10-15 minutes.
Remove the shells from the pistachios; chop them using a meat grinder or a blender.
Stage number 2. Work with meat
Now get some meat. Well squeeze the fillet or thighs from excess moisture, cut into large pieces or strips. Peel and chop the onions, too, then chop these components, passing them through a meat grinder. Minced terrine should be thick enough, so be sure to enter the cream. After that, add the spices, prepared pistachios, salt.
Tip! Please note that the taste of the dish can improve chopped greens, mushrooms, soft cream cheese. If you want terrine to look more festive, then mix dried apricots with prunes.
Stage number 3. Baking
Take a ceramic rectangular baking dish; generously grease its bottom and walls with butter. Now lay out the ingredients, following the following recommendations:
- put the strips of bacon overlap, forming a kind of wicker basket. The ends of the bacon should hang down, you will close the mincemeat;
- put half the minced meat with onions and pistachios into the container, sprinkle the layer lightly with nutmeg;
- Put the prunes, after squeezing the dried fruits from the liquid;
- layout the remaining mince, “wrap” it with dangling bacon pieces.
In the end, should get something like a meatloaf. Send the future chicken terrine to the oven for at least 50-60 minutes, loosely covered with a lid. After this period, cool the snack, cover with cling film, and then put it under pressure for 8 hours in a cool place.
How to serve a French chicken dish?
Spectacular delivery, perhaps one of the most important advantages of this delicate snack. The multi-layered structure, complemented by bright blotches of prunes, greens, and pistachios, attracts the eye. Eating a terrine of chicken will be a pleasure for your family members and guests invited to the feast.
Traditionally, this dish is served as a cold snack, pre-cut it into thin slices. It is necessary to supplement the serving with pieces of freshly baked bread or baguette, creamy cheese or mushroom sauce, as well as greens. It is so delicious that you cannot stop!