Creamy Salmon Soup
Fish soups are especially popular in Finland: the locals love to feast on kalakateto soup, which includes potatoes, onions, milk, and directly fish. This dish has an improved variation – lohikaytto. This soup is often prepared for the holidays. Unlike kalakeytto, lohikaytto is made exclusively from salmon, and instead of milk fat, the cream is used as a base.
Every Finnish mistress has a signature recipe for a creamy salmon soup. Of course, we are not from Finland but also decided to share our method of cooking this fish dish. It is tasty, low-calorie and very healthy, so we advise you to try to cook it!
List of ingredients for cooking lohikaytto
To make a creamy salmon soup, you must first go shopping. You need to purchase:
- 2 kilograms of fish (salmon family): salmon, salmon, trout, etc .;
- some potatoes (about 300 g will be enough);
- Onions in the amount of 2 pcs .;
- about 0.2 kg of carrots;
- 3 liters of heavy cream: from 20% to 22%;
- some spices: bay leaf, allspice (5 pcs.) and 20 grams of dill;
- 10 grams of flour (wheat);
- butter and vegetable oil (20 g and 20 ml);
- Some salt.
Now let’s get down to the recipe for a creamy salmon soup. It is quite simple to prepare this dish so you will not have any difficulties.
Step-by-step recipe of creamy salmon soup
To prepare a delicious lohikaytto, follow the instructions:
- Cut the fish head, cut the gills and eyes.
- Cut the fillets: if you have purchased large fish, use the fillet is not full. Let part of it remain for cooking other fish dishes.
- Add the fish’s head, tail, bones, and skin to the pan. Fill it with water to cover completely. Wait until the water boils.
- Remove from the liquid formed foam and slightly reduce the fire. Add carrots, onions, and spices there: bay leaf with pepper.
- Boil the ingredients for 30 minutes and then remove them from the broth.
- Salt the broth: for this, you need two teaspoons of salt. In appearance, it should turn out completely transparent and have a golden color.
- Leave the broth to boil, in the meantime, fry the onion and rub the carrots as finely as possible. Fry onion in oil until it gets a transparent golden appearance. Then add the carrot to the onions and cook the ingredients together. When they are soft, cooking can be finished.
- Slice the potatoes and add to the boiling broth. Fry the flour well in butter. Dilute the mixture with a small amount of broth, and then stir in such a way that there are no lumps.
- When the potatoes are almost cooked, add to the future cream soup with salmon previously prepared mixtures of onions and carrots, as well as flour.
- Slice the fish fillets (you should get about 0.4 kilograms). It is desirable to cut it into cubes: it should be slightly larger than potatoes. Add the fish to the soup.
- Add cream and dill to the soup. Wait until everything boils, and then turn off the fire. On this creamy soup with salmon is ready. You should have something similar to the photo below. We draw your attention to the fact that the dish should be allowed to infuse: it should be served only a day after cooking – so it will be much tastier.
Creamy salmon soup with salmon is not only very tasty, but it is also useful. In the dish a lot of protein, which plays a key role in the construction of muscles? Also in the fish of the salmon family contains polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are very useful and vital for maintaining the health of the human body. But that’s not all: lohikaytto is a low-calorie dish, and therefore suitable for people who are on a diet.
We hope that our recipe did not seem too complicated, and you can easily make a creamy soup with salmon. We wish you good luck and more tasty dishes in your life!