Dimlama In A Cauldron: Recipe
With the onset of cold weather, I want to pamper your home with a hearty and tasty dinner. Some housewives prefer traditional cuisine, with ordinary and familiar dishes. But many are not limited to ordinary recipes, and in this regard, they go in search of new culinary masterpieces on the Internet or cookbooks and magazines.
Today we offer to use the discovery of Asian cuisine and cook Uzbek dimla. In many regions, this dish is cooked in different ways, but the principle of cooking remains unchanged: the meat base is first fried and then stewed together with other vegetables. And the more various vegetables are included in the composition of the dish, the more aromatic and tasty it turns out! Do not deny yourself the pleasure of enjoying the amazing taste of traditional Uzbek dimlama!
It should be noted that the list contains products without specifying the required quantity. The fact is that all the ingredients should be added depending on taste preferences:
- meat base (lamb is best suited, but those who do not like the specific flavor of this meat can take pork or not lean beef);
- potatoes (medium-sized tubers);
- Bulgarian pepper;
- tomatoes (choose the ripest fruit);
- apples (1 – 2 sour varieties);
- fresh greens;
- spices and salt (black pepper and bay leaf are required, other spices, depending on taste preferences).
Step-by-step recipe with the photo
Since the traditional dimlyama is cooked in a cauldron, you should take this particular dish. In some cases, you can use a large cast iron skillet or any other dishes with a thick bottom. The main thing is that the products during cooking be well stewed and not burnt.
- Cut small pieces of fat from the meat and place them on the bottom of a hot cauldron (deep frying pan). On a small fire, fry all the fat.
- Cut the rest of the meat into small pieces (as for barbecue) and add to the cauldron. Fry lamb from all sides until golden brown (half cooked). Cover the cauldron with a lid and continue to simmer the lamb on a small fire for another 10-15 minutes. While the meat base is cooked, you can prepare the vegetables.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into slices. Large fruits can be cut into half rings.
- Chop the bulb into half rings and pour it over with hot water.
- Add sliced carrots and onions to the meat, mix and, covered with a lid, continue stewing for 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse the sweet bell pepper and cut it in half. Remove stalks and seeds. Cut the fruit into medium sized sticks.
- Scald tomatoes with boiling water and peel. In large fruits, it is desirable to remove the seeds. Slice the tomatoes into medium thick slices.
- Cut the garlic cloves into quarters.
- Sour apples peel and remove the core. Cut them into thin slices.
- Rinse the eggplants, chop them into rings (1.5-2 cm wide) and sprinkle with salt so that the bitterness does not turn black and leave.
- Peel the potatoes and cut each tuber in half (if the fruit is large enough, you can cut it into a quarter). Next, you should lay out the prepared vegetables in layers, without stirring. Each subsequent layer should be sprinkled with salt, ground pepper, and Zira.
- Put the vegetables in the following sequence: tomatoes, paprika, and apples, eggplant with garlic, potatoes.
When all layers are laid, cover the dishes tightly with a lid and leave to stew over low heat for 1.5-2 hours.
Gently turn the cauldron over with the finished dimala on a large deep dish, being careful not to mix the layers. Top hot dish sprinkles with chopped fresh herbs.
Dimlya’s aroma is so appetizing that you won’t have to invite anyone to the table for too long. The traditional Uzbek dish will appeal to absolutely everyone. Fragrant and delicious Dimla can be offered as a main dish for a family dinner or even dinner with friends. And in order to give a national flavor to your feast, offer the guests green tea or Shen-Pu-Erh.
Having prepared Uzbek dimla at least once at home, you will see that many national dishes are very tasty and at the same time simple to prepare. Do not be afraid to try something new and discover different gastronomic tastes!