How To Choose A Food Processor For Home?
If you are puzzled, asking your friends and interlocutors on the forums what is better – buy several household units for processing different products individually or one food processor – do not hesitate and make a choice in favor of multi-functional equipment. So you will save both money and space on several shelves at once. However, it is important to choose a combine in such a way that it satisfies your culinary needs, served smoothly for a fixed period of time, and remained a valuable helper all the time, rather than gathering dust somewhere in the house. Let’s understand how and by what parameters to make a successful choice.
Chopper or processor – select the type of machine
Having come to the home appliance store, the diversity of food processors is easy to get confused. An unprepared buyer usually falls under the influence of nimble consultants and agrees to choose the most sophisticated model, which is much more expensive than he planned to spend. And when the shopping rush passes, half of the functions are unclaimed.
Therefore, in order not to overpay, decide in advance what responsibilities you want to assign to your future combine, and try to choose the optimal type of device without excessive fanaticism:
- food chopper (chopper) – in fact, it is an electric grater that performs fruit and vegetable cutting, shredding and even cutting meat, but is not intended for other tasks;
- Combine harvester to perform a universal set of operations (cutting, mashing, rubbing, beating and kneading various products), which replaces several types of household appliances – a blender, mixer, vegetable cutter, meat grinder, juicer, citrus press;
- Multiprocessor with advanced functionality – such units perform almost the complete cooking process: from weighing and grinding to grinding and cooking with automatic stirring of ingredients.
These combines differ tenfold in price: if you can get an electric chopper with one or two thousand rubles, you will have to pay from 5 to 100 for multifunctional equipment with an impressive set of nozzles. Opportunities choose one or another food processor, clearly imagining its possibilities.
And yet, a more correct approach to the selection implies that before you buy, you will definitely understand the technical characteristics and parameters that indicate the quality of manufacture of the combine. Choose the best option for your home will not help either the opinion of a friend or reviews on women’s forums – so everything is individual. Let’s examine right now what else, besides the cost and a set of functions, food processors differ.
Independent determination of the best technical indicators
Choosing a combine, we recommend impartially assessing several of its parameters: the volume of the container, the power capacity, the quality of materials and the staffing with accessories. The next important stage is the real “fitting” of the device for your own home conditions. And finally, the last step – the creation of a personal opinion about the degree of reliability of the company that produced it.
How to choose the material and capacity of the bowl
The requirements for the material of the containers should be:
- Resistance to heating up to +80 and freezing to –5 ° C;
- Hygiene compliance;
- Mechanical strength;
- Chemical resistance to acids, alkalis and other components of products.
Plastic, glass, and metal satisfy almost all of them, but each option has its own pros and cons:
- Plastic containers are lightweight, inexpensive, can be washed in a dishwasher and used in microwave ovens (with appropriate labeling), but fragile and easily broken upon impact;
- Glass – are also characterized by increased fragility, but still, they are stronger and more attractive in appearance, in addition, they can store semi-finished products in the refrigerator, heat them in a microwave and wash them in a dishwasher;
- Metal – the most weighty and expensive, they are allowed to prick ice, nuts and chop meat that did not have time to completely defrost, but you can not put them in the microwave oven and dishwasher.
The size of the working capacity is determined by the number of products that you need to prepare at one time. Therefore, if you do not do daily cooking for a hungry family of 7–10 people, you don’t need a huge bowl. Ground and whipped products will be smeared on the bottom, nozzles will not be able to process them well, and your chosen harvester will stand idle. Judging by the reviews, such situations are far from uncommon.
On the other hand, if you often bake all sorts of biscuits and pancakes, in a miniature pot you cannot beat enough eggs and mix a decent amount of dough. The best way out is to choose a food processor with a set of different containers or purchase them separately. When buying, note that the characteristics often confuse the overall and useful capacity of the bowls.
Power, speed and safety of the unit
At first glance, in order to choose kitchen appliances according to these parameters, it is enough to be guided by the principle “the more the better”. But in fact, even low-powered engines (100–300 W) quite successfully cope with the tasks, if their indicators are correctly correlated with the size of the working capacity.
Thus, for a vessel with a volume of 1–1.5 liters, engine power up to 300 W is sufficient, for a 2-liter engine it is 400 W, for 3 liters and more, from 700 W. The performance of models with power indices above 1500 W is so high that even professional chefs can choose them. The optimal indicator for culinary manipulations at home is 1–1.2 kW.
The more powerful you plan to choose a combine, the more attentive you will be to security issues and the presence of interlocks and fuses for various emergency situations:
- Engine overheating;
- Overload key elements;
- Accidental rotation of the bowl and knives;
- Damage to the electrical cable, etc.
As for the rate of rotation of the nozzles, which directly affects the result of the work, compact devices usually have 1–2 speeds. Their functionality is usually limited to kneading dough, chopping vegetables and chopping mash in mashed potatoes. In more advanced units, the number of speeds reaches 15, and of course, their functionality is much higher.
Overview of the set of interchangeable and additional attachments
When choosing a kitchen multiprocessor, be sure to check with the sellers for its equipment – it may be different for the same model in different stores. If you have not yet developed an understanding of what you need to stock in the first place, use our list of the main, most frequently used accessories:
- Knife-impeller in the chopper bowl;
- Disc graters for grinding cheese and vegetables;
- Disk shredder;
- Blades for slicing slices and cubes;
- Blender for making cocktails and baby food;
- Meat grinder;
- Juicer, citrus press;
- Mixing whisk for whipping eggs;
- Two nozzles for kneading dough – liquid and thick.
All other accessories – grinder mill, coffee grinder, emulsifier disc, noodle cutter, etc. – are considered optional, so ask in advance if it is possible to purchase the missing tools in the future and how affordable they are.
Before you finally decide and choose the unit with the characteristics you need, go to the store where it is available, and see how well the production. Ask to turn on the device and listen for the noise level. Evaluate the real dimensions, cord length and weight of the combine in terms of whether it will fit in the space allocated to it and whether it will be easy for you if you need to move the combine from place to place.
If such “fitting” is impossible for one reason or another, all that remains is to choose a company you trust and read all the reviews about its product and the service provided.
Which manufacturers took the lead – the ranking of the best
Traditionally, models represented by well-known brands like KitchenAid, Kenwood or Bosch are knocked out in the top of the most popular kitchen multiprocessors. However, powerful multifunctional machines in their lines are still expensive, and the views of buyers are increasingly turning to less well-promoted, but quite reliable units.
We present to your attention a recent review of models worth up to 15 thousand rubles, in which both famous brands and quite unfamiliar ones are presented, but they managed to collect positive reviews (the average cost in 2018 is shown in parentheses):
- Bosch MUM 4855 is a powerful enough (600 W) unit with a spacious 4-liter bowl and a wide choice of nozzles, capable of kneading 2 kg of dough in one set.
- Kenwood KM 289 – a food processor with 3 working containers and 3 drives for connecting accessories, of the main advantages – a meat grinder and a planetary mixer.
- Braun FX3030 – the device is inexpensive, but equipped with a powerful (800 W) motor, which works at 15 speeds with both working bowls and at the same time is notable for low noise.
- Philips HR7762 – this machine is compact and has an impressive set of nozzles, thanks to which it is able to perform more than 25 functions.
- Bomann KM 1393 CB is a product of a German manufacturer, little-known in our region, with a 1.2 kW engine, a bowl of 6.3 liters and 6 speeds.
Now, having studied all the parameters and characteristics of modern combines and acquainted with the key models from different manufacturers, you can certainly choose a reliable and functional device that once and for all removes the routine hassle of preparing products for heat treatment.