Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is a fantastic soup, with just the right amount of spice.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Qt. chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8” strips
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 cup Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
Place a large pot over medium heat, and coat with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Add the garlic, jalapenos, onions, and tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the chicken stock, and season with salt and pepper, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
In a skillet over medium-high flame, heat 1” of canola oil, and when it begins to smoke add the tortilla strips in batches until they are crisp on both sides. Remove to a paper-towel lined platter and sprinkle with salt while still hot.
Ladle the soup into bowls and add a pile of shredded chicken to the top. Add the diced avocado and fried tortilla strips and cheese. Garnish with cilantro and lime.