Pork Knuckle In A Bavarian Beer
Juicy knuckle in beer in Bavarian is a real delicacy, which in many German cities is served as a snack to dark and light beer. This type of meat has a delicate flavor so the dish of it will be a great addition to a family dinner. Today, we have prepared for you a recipe shank in beer, which can make any hostess!
Features of the choice of delicious pork knuckle
Shank is a classic pork ham, which should not be chosen without preparation:
- The most delicious is a knuckle in beer made from ham from the rear. Shanks from the front is the writer and less fatty so the dish can be dried;
- When choosing this part of the carcass, make sure that the meat has a neutral flavor. If the smell is pronounced or specific, then before you stale knuckle or one that was obtained by cutting the boar carcass. Having bought such meat, you have to soak it in water for a long time, then pickle, but all these manipulations are not a guarantee that the unpleasant aroma will disappear;
- Fresh knuckle has a light shade; it is dry and slightly elastic. Stale meat is bleeding, dark color.
Before roasting in the oven, the meat must be rinsed well under water, if there is a lot of blood, soak it in the liquid, adding a small amount of vinegar to it for 30-40 minutes, after which the piece should be boiled. Pork cooked for 90 minutes, adding a little salt to the water, black peppercorns and bay leaf, which makes the flavor more neutral.
If you decide to cook the shank in beer, then replace the water with the intoxicating drink. At the meat cooking stage, add a few cloves of garlic, 1 small carrot, and celery, which prevent the formation of large amounts of foam. Let’s take a step by step recipe!
- 1-1.5 kg of pork knuckle.
- 400 ml of beer. It is better to choose a dark, with a richer taste.
- 5 tsp. honey and mustard.
- 50 ml of dark beer for a sauce.
- 1 head of garlic.
- 1 carrot and celery.
- Bay leaf, peppercorns, Provencal herbs, dried garlic.
A step-by-step recipe for a hearty meat dish
Stage number 1. Cooking shank in beer (with photo)
Start by steeping the meat; first, remove the debris and pieces of bones from it that settle on the parts of the carcass during the cutting process. Fill the meat with water or marinade, then proceed to clean, chopping carrots, and celery. Vegetables must be cut into large pieces, garlic – cleaned and divided into cloves. Drain, remove the knuckle and then dry it with a paper towel.
Put the ham on the cutting surface, then proceed as follows:
- make cuts of medium depth in the upper layers of meat, then chop the ham with garlic cloves;
- rub the meat with salt and pepper;
- put the future knuckle in the beer on the bottom of a deep pan;
- cover the meat with a dark, intoxicating drink so that it covers the ham, add bay leaf and black pepper for flavor.
Put the pot on the gas, bring the water to a boil, then make a bookmark of vegetables. If there is a lot of foam, quickly pour a glass of ice-cold water into the boiling broth, and then quickly collect the foam with a slotted spoon. Boil the meat for 2 hours, while cooking it, be sure to turn it over 1 time.
Stage number 2. Cooking sauce and roasting
At this stage, prepare a delicious sauce for shin in beer, acting like this:
- Pour 50 ml of beer into a deep container, add a pinch of salt and dried garlic;
- beat the beer with a fork, mix with 1.5 tsp. mustard and honey;
- Beat the ingredients well until the sauce is smooth.
Before cooking the sauce, remove the boiled meat from the pan, drain the broth, it is unsuitable for human consumption. Put the cooked meat on a baking sheet, pre-covered with foil, then spread it with sauce, sprinkle with spices, and then send it to the oven. The dish is recommended to cook at a temperature of +190 C for 25-30 minutes, which depends on the size of the ham!
How to serve pork shank in beer? Drinks and side dish
This juicy, fatty meat, characterized by a dizzying aroma, is served in a flat or shallow dish, surrounding on all sides with sour-sweet sauerkraut. Cabbage can be replaced with fried potatoes, but in this case, the dinner will be too heavy. Traditionally, the dish is served with beer or spirits, as well as hot tea with lemon or cider. Enjoy your meal!