Potato Gratin: A Classic Recipe
Behind the beautiful name of the gratin is a classic casserole made from potatoes, cheese, and auxiliary ingredients. The dish is very tender, airy and, and this is important, it prepares very quickly. On the secrets of creating potato gratin, we will talk today!
What can I cook?
The traditional ingredient is potatoes; the second important ingredient is cheese, which can be both hard and soft. Also in the potato gratins add the following ingredients:
- egg white or yolk;
- cream, sour cream or milk;
- garlic, basil, and other seasonings;
- chopped meat, minced meat.
When cooking gratin, follow a number of simple recommendations:
- If you have a lot of cooking time, you can use raw potatoes. If time is running out, then boldly prepare mashed potatoes, which you then bake in the oven;
- When preparing the filling for potato gratin, use not pure cream, but those that were mixed with milk in equal proportions. Otherwise, the dairy product will collapse, turning into unappetizing lumps;
- You can add vegetables to your dish to taste: mushrooms, sweet peppers, celery, zucchini, and others;
- Use heat-resistant dishes for cooking, but do not line the bottom with foil, but lubricate the surface with butter or margarine;
- The top of the dish can be covered with foil, which will prevent evaporation of moisture and excessive thickening of the sauce;
- The bottom of the form, buttered, sprinkle with chopped garlic or seasoning, the aroma of which the potatoes necessarily absorb.
These are the secrets to help you create a perfect gratin made from boiled or fresh potatoes. Now it’s time to consider the best step-by-step recipes!
Classic gratin in the oven
A traditional French dish did not make from potatoes and cheese, neither meat nor other types of vegetables are added to it. To create delicious gratins prepare the following ingredients:
- 1 kg of fresh potatoes;
- 1 raw egg;
- 200 ml of cream and medium-fat milk;
- black pepper, nutmeg, sweet paprika or other seasonings that your family members love;
- 200 hard pieces of cheese.
Now proceed to cook, washing and peeling the potatoes. After that, cut it into circles, the width of which does not exceed 3-4 mm. Gently grease the form with butter, and then lay out a thick layer of potatoes. On the potatoes, pour the hard cheese, grated on a grater, pour it with the sauce, mixing milk, egg, and cream. Add spices, salt the dish, cover with foil so that it does not come into contact with the sauce, and then send it to the oven for 40-45 minutes. If the foil is not available, you can replace it with a lid!
Important! When cooking gratin with cheese, use a variety of cheddar, and add more spices to it, because the dish should turn out not only juicy but also fragrant.
Recipe with minced meat (with photo)
The following components are necessary for this juicy and rather fatty dish:
- 200 g parmesan or cheddar cheese;
- 1 kg of potatoes;
- 500-700 g of minced or minced meat. When baking, potatoes become a bit dry, so use not fatty chicken, but fatty pork. You can add sausages, ham;
- 200 ml of cream and milk, if you want to thicken the sauce, then use 1 raw egg;
- 1 onion, you can add mushrooms to taste;
- black pepper, paprika, a mixture of aromatic spices;
- Butter, necessary for lubricating heat-resistant form.
First, make minced meat; pour it into a pre-heated pan. Fry the meat for 5 minutes, then add chopped onion and mushrooms to it, cook the mixture until the vegetables are golden in color. Prepare a tender sauce:
- combine milk and cream, add in the hard cheese and egg, salt it;
- Whisk the mixture with a whisk, add the pepper, thyme, and salt.
Now peel and chop the potatoes, cut it into half rings, grease the form, put a thick layer of potatoes on the bottom, salt it and add flavored seasonings. Pour the sauce over the first layer of potatoes, put the minced meat, sprinkle the meat with grated cheese, and then lay out the products in layers in the same order, pouring the sauce over them. Sprinkle the last layer with cheese, cover the form with a lid or foil, bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
The dish is prepared until the upper part is covered with a golden crust. Serve it hot, decorated with greens, fresh peas or asparagus. Enjoy your meal!