Soup “Holodnik” in Polish
Holodnik in Polish is a great alternative to good old okroshka, but it looks brighter, and the taste characteristics of this dish are beyond praise. It is very refreshing and saturating, being the best solution for the spring-summer period. And we are in a hurry to share with you the recipe for this cold Polish soup!
What is the fridge in Polish?
Cooking okroshka, we traditionally use meat or sausages, radishes, cucumbers, a large number of greens, eggs, potatoes, and also kvass, kefir or mineral water. The main ingredient of holodnik in Polish is beets, as well as raki, therefore the dish has a pleasant sweet-spicy fish aroma and taste. Serving it cold (hence the name), accompanied by boiled new potatoes and finely chopped greens is a real delight.
Step by Step Cooking
Preparing the fridge with the beets, prepare the following ingredients:
- 10-15 crayfish, if you purchased cleaned meat, you will need about 250-300 g;
- 2 pcs. fresh cucumbers and the same number of eggs;
- 4 small beets and the same amount of potatoes;
- a bunch of dill with parsley;
- 1 l of kefir or 300 g of sour cream;
- lemon or 2 tbsp. l vinegar;
- salt and pepper to taste.
Step number 1. Ingredient preparation
Fridge soup in Polish is prepared very quickly, most of the time it takes cooking of the main ingredients:
- put boiled (in different dishes) eggs, potatoes, and beets;
- wash the crayfish several times, put them in a pan, add 2 liters of salted water, send to the stove. Please note that crayfish are cooked only alive!
After boiling eggs boil for about 7 minutes (depending on size), beets and potatoes – 1 hour, live crayfish – 25 minutes, crayfish – 15-20 minutes. After this period, drain the water, cool the crayfish and vegetables.
Step number 2. Cooking refueling with photo
Take 1 big or 2 small beets, peel them, and then act like this:
- cut the root vegetable, after clearing it. You can rub on a coarse grater;
- fill the vegetable with boiling water, boil for a quarter of an hour;
- Strain the cooled broth; do not forget to squeeze the flesh well. The latter can be thrown away because you should not add it to the soup;
- In the broth add 2 tbsp. l vinegar or lemon juice, salt it to taste.
If you for some reason do not want to cook kvass, then use kefir or sour cream for refueling. In this case, the fermented milk product can be mixed with 1 cup of crayfish broth, salt, and pepper and add to the soup.
Step number 3. Direct cooking
At this stage it is necessary to grind all the components:
- clean the crayfish by gently taking out the meat;
- Grate the vegetables;
- Cut into 4 parts eggs, chop the greens.
Put all the ingredients in a deep pan, pour them with kvass from beets or kefir, gently mix, put the eggs. Before serving the fridge is recommended to stand in the refrigerator for 1 hour, and preferably 3-4 hours.
Pickled beets for fridge
Before cooking, if you want to get a more saturated fridge, it is recommended to pickle beets. For this job you can use the following simple recipe:
- Bake 1-2 large beets in the oven for 1 hour, after wrapping them in foil. If the vegetable is large, then it can be baked for 1-1.5 hours;
- make a marinade, connecting a glass of water (250 ml), 100 ml of vegetable oil and 50 ml of vinegar (it is better to choose apple), salt and 3-5 pieces. peppercorns, 2-3 tbsp. l Sahara. Mix the ingredients in a metal pan, bring the marinade to a boil, and wait for it to cool completely;
- Clean the root, grate it, and mix it with 1 chopped onion;
- Put the vegetables in a jar, pour them with the cooled marinade, cover with a lid and leave for 24 hours.
Such beets can be added to the fridge in Polish, as well as used as a dressing for red soups, a side dish for meat, fish, and cereal.
What else can you cook a fridge?
In some cases, housewives substitute crayfish with mussels and shrimps, because these ingredients give the dish a special taste. Also, if the crayfish could not be found, you can replace them with such components:
- smoked salmon;
- smoked sausage;
- Boiled or smoked meat, such as chicken fillet or pork tenderloin.
In the fridge in Polish, you can safely add your favorite seasonal vegetables, because boiled carrots, raw radishes, and sorrel diversify its taste. Enjoy your meal!