Stir Fry Chicken with Vegetables: Recipe
Chicken stew fry with vegetables is an ultra-light pan-Asian dish that takes less than half an hour to cook and a few seconds to eat. Bright vegetables and chicken meat, covered with a glossy and slightly smoky sauce, in any situation are perceived with a bang.
The undoubted plus of this democratic food is that you can take any products that you have on hand. This recipe is suitable for freeing the fridge from vegetable stocks. It tastes great no matter how you change the proportions of the ingredients. The hostess will also like the fact that they will not have to wash dishes for a long time after washing. Everything is cooked in one wok or a deep skillet.
The speed, taste, and benefits
Stir fry is not the name of a specific dish, but the technology of cooking. It lies in the fact that all the ingredients are fried in oil in a hot wok with vigorous stirring. The literal translation of the term “wash fry” – to interfere and fry. This way to cook food comes from Chinese cuisine. To speed up the roasting process, all products are cut into small strips.
The most important thing to know with this method of frying is that you need to work with a very high temperature for a short period of time. This gives a characteristic smoky flavor. In addition to excellent taste, such a quick cooking method keeps the maximum amount of healthy ingredients in a dish. Calorie washes fry with vegetables and chicken – about 460 kcal. If you are looking for quick and easy recipes for the night, this dish is for you!
For 4 servings you will need:
- 500 g chicken without skin and bones;
- 500 g of any vegetables;
- 2-3 tsp of minced garlic;
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger;
- 1/2 medium onion;
- 2-3 g of red pepper powder;
- 3 tbsp. spoons of soy sauce;
- 250 – 360 ml of chicken broth;
- 1 tbsp. a spoon of starch;
- 2 tbsp. spoons of honey or brown sugar;
- 50 g of green onions;
- 50 g fresh ginger;
- 30 grams of vegetable oil.
Here is a list of vegetables that are perfectly prepared using the washing fry technique: green beans, and mushrooms, onions, asparagus, peas, small corn cobs, broccoli, carrots, bamboo shoots, zucchini, bell pepper, chestnuts. The more vegetable ingredients you mix in one dish, the richer its taste and refined appearance.
As additives, you can use rice wine vinegar, teriyaki, peanut oil, sherry, nuts, sesame. As meat, you can take any chicken: breast or legs. Even chopped chicken cutlets will do.
Step by Step Cooking
- All vegetables cut into thin strips, chicken – into cubes.
- Mix soy sauce, broth, cornstarch, and honey to a smooth consistency.
- Heat the pan with butter, and then put the chicken, let it stand for about half a minute before you begin to mix. Roast for 4-5 minutes until the meat is fully cooked. Put the chicken in a separate bowl. Do not wash the pan after frying the chicken fillet, it will give a specific flavor to the vegetable ingredients.
- Put the garlic and ginger in the pan, fry for about a minute. Do not let the garlic burn. Then add onion, bell pepper, chili powder and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables and continue to stir for about 2-3 minutes. In the end, return the chicken to the wok.
- Pour the fried ingredients with sauce, reduce the heat and wait until it thickens.
- Last, of all, add spring onions and basil. If the sauce is too thick, you can adjust its consistency by diluting the chicken broth.
Notes and Tips
Despite the seeming simplicity, a chicken fry with vegetables has some nuances that distinguish a real Chinese dish from an adapted version. If you want to enjoy the taste of true Asia, use these secrets.
- Get some Thai basil on the Asian market or in the supermarket, it will give the dish a specific oriental flavor.
- Red pepper flakes (flakes of red pepper) – completely optional, but adds piquancy.
- If you are using carrots, blanch them before adding them to the pan.
- Hard vegetables, such as peppers and thick broccoli, will take longer to fry. Leafy vegetables such as spinach and bok choy, as well as bamboo shoots, can be placed at the very end.
- Garlic and ginger should be cooked over low heat so that it does not burn.
- For washing fry, unrefined high melting oil, such as peanut, sunflower or corn oil, is most suitable.
- Spread the ingredients from center to wok using a wooden spatula. Do not overfill the pan so that the food is fried rather than stewed.
- Ensure that the sauce is thoroughly mixed until smooth, to prevent the formation of lumps during frying. If you use cornmeal for thickening, mix it with cold water beforehand, otherwise, the sauce will be lumpy.
The sauce is the basis of the stir fry. It is he who unites all the components into a single whole and distinguishes Asian food from a simple roast. Chinese cooks are not inferior to the French in the art of making sauces, but use specific products and additives for their gastronomic masterpieces. Stirfray with chicken and vegetables ideally complement:
- Honey – for a light sweet taste, which makes this chicken very popular among adults and children.
- Toasted sesame oil gives a pronounced Asian flavor.
- A Chinese dish is unthinkable without soy sauce! To make food as healthy as possible, choose low-sodium options.
- Chicken broth will add richness and flavor.
It is possible to serve the fry with any side dish, but the Chinese eat it, usually with crumbly rice or noodles. Eat it with piping hot, sprinkled with sesame seeds and greens.